The FNB CAPE TOWN 12 ONERUN Events team are actively trying to make a difference to conserve water through our water management plan. We are currently working with the city, Western Cape Tourism and our disaster management team to put the appropriate water provisions and solutions in place.
In all plans, we will always adhere to the Western Province Athletics Domestic Rules, with regards to athlete hydration.
The majority of our entrants come from the Western Cape Region, and are aware of the dire situation the province and specifically the City of Cape Town are in with regards to water and restrictions.
In 2017 the geographical estimation of our entrants was: 0,1% of our entrants were international, 15% were national and 84.7% were from the Western Cape region.
We will have the following in place at the FNB CAPE TOWN 12 ONERUN 2018
- We encourage runners to run with a hydration pack/water bottle and be self-supportive.
- Staff working on the event will be issued with a reusable bottle to refill water at pre-determined water stations.
- All suppliers will be signing a service agreement specifying their usage and where that water comes from, and are required to show a commitment to our water management plan.
- Cement blocks will be used for weighing down structures.
- Our sachet water supply is provided by K3 Water, who will not be using City of Cape town water.
- Any water sachets that are not utilized at the FNB CAPE TOWN 12 ONERUN will be kept and donated to our charity the SPCA to use for the animals.
- Coke is a sponsor and will be bringing in product from up country.
- All bottled water used will come from outside of the city of Cape Town.
- There will be no showers available.
- All ice water from the water points will be collected and used as grey water.
- There will be no mist sprayers.
- We will be hiring portable toilets from Sales Hire. They are chemical based. The water used in them is grey.
- Waterless soap solutions are being provided in VIP toilets.
Finally, we would like to encourage runners and supporters to use our top 5 water savings tips to support water saving in the City of Cape Town.
- After running, take a revitalising 2 minute shower, and make sure you put a bucket in the shower to catch those extra drops, then use them to water your plants or to flush your toilet.
- If you are using sachet water on your run, don’t throw the a half empty sachet on the road, rather squeeze it onto the grass or flower bed nearby. Then recycle the plastic sachet in out dustbins on route.
- Install flow restrictors on your taps and shower heads.
- After exercising, don’t run the tap to drink water, rather fill up bottles of water, switch the tap off and then drink.
- The weather is very hot at the moment, be clever, use quick drying, breathable kit.
Download CT12 Water management plan