The organisers of the ABSA Run Your City Series have announced that they will be implementing a Single-Use Plastic (SUP) Management Campaign that aims to drastically reduce the usage of single-use plastics by 85% at all three events which includes the: ABSA Cape Town 12 ONERUN (Sunday, 19 May 2019), ABSA Joburg 10K CITYRUN (Tuesday, 24 September 2019) and ABSA Durban 10K CITYSURFRUN (Sunday, 13 October 2019).
“Our ultimate goal is to host a mass participation road running series that is plastic free and highlights the splendour of its host city while celebrating its people, their talent and the amazing sport,” says Michael Meyer, Managing Director Stillwater Sports. “We are proud to announce that our event sponsors share our excitement for this campaign. In turn, they too will play their part in reducing and ultimately eliminating the usage of single-use plastic at the events.”
“Single-use plastics are used only once before they are thrown away or, on a more positive note, recycled. These items include plastic bags, straws, coffee stirrers, soda and water bottles and most food packaging,” says Agne du Plessis, Stillwater Sports General Manager: Road Running. “As part of our campaign we have teamed up with #RunClean and will be implementing strict ‘litter zones’ to ensure a litter free route, while with #ICarryMyOwn we will encourage runners to be self-sustained by running with a hydration pack and/or water bottle. We would like to invite all entrants to support our campaign, help keep our cities clean so that you can #RunYourCityYourWay.”
Other ways in which the events will be reducing single-use plastic usage:
Race Pack Collection:
- NO plastic bags for goodie bags –paper bags only
- NO plastic bags for race numbers
- NO individually packaged event t-shirts
- Race numbers will be made from recycled plastic bottles
- NO plastic packaging for event branding
- NO Plastic accreditation –only cardboard
- Reusable cable ties for signage and branding
- Gaining support of event partner to eliminate single-use plastic usage.
- The number of water points on route will be reduced from 3 to 2 at the 5km and 10km marks, 2.85% less plastic water sachets at water points, use recyclable paper cups instead.
- As part of their entry all runners will receive a DHL running water bottle. Don’t forget to bring your bottle with on race day to be part of our #ICarryMyOwn Campaign.
- Encouraging runners to run with a hydration pack and/or water bottle. Be self-sufficient #ICarryMyOwn
- Refill stations for water bottles will be allocated at the start and along the route.
- There will be designated Litter Zones with litter pens to keep the route litter free #RunClean
EVENT INFORMATION: ABSA Run Your City Series
|Sunday, 19 May 2019||ABSA Cape Town 12 ONERUN|
|Tuesday, 24 September 2019||ABSA Joburg 10K CITYRUN|
|Sunday, 13 October 2019||ABSA Durban 10K CITYSURFRUN|
ABSA Run Your City Series “City Clean Up”:
The ABSA Run Your City Series organises a “City Clean Up” in each host city the week prior to the event. The goal is to educate the population on the importance of a litter free city, while encouraging the community to get involved.
|City Clean Up Dates:||City:|
|Saturday, 18 May 2019||Cape Town|
|Sunday, 22 September 2019||Johannesburg|
|Saturday, 12 October 2019||Durban|
About the ABSA Run Your City Series:
ABSA is proud to once again bring you the ABSA Run Your City Series which comprises of three unique mass participation events that integrate business involvement, family, diversity, investment in community, world class achievement and fun for all participants, both individuals and businesses alike.
Each of the races are developed to take participants through the historical routes around each city, thereby adding a tourism element to each race, making it more than a race but an economic opportunity for each community.
The ABSA Run Your City Series is made up of three races around South Africa, namely, the ABSA Cape Town 12 ONERUN, the ABSA Joburg 10K CITYRUN and the ABSA Durban 10K CITYSURFRUN.
For further information please visit www.runyourcityseries.com
ISSUED BY: Newsport Media